The RIIoT™ Parts and Tools
The RIIoT™ Parts describe the different parts you can use to build your RIIoT™ Network, and the RIIoT™ Tools are developed to support a project with fast to market requirements. We strive to make the tools easy to use and make the documentation easy to follow.
The SPR Module is a complete, very low power-consuming IEEE802.15.4 g/e RF node with a 50 ohm antenna interface. It is designed to be a complete Leaf node in the RIIoT system and includes everything needed to connect to the RF on one side and to the local PCB bus on the other to interface to sensor chips and control units.
The module comes in three versions:
- RC1880CEF-SPR, the low power version
- RC1880HPCF-SPR, the high power version for 868 MHz
- RC1890HPCF-SPR, the high power version for 915 MHz
The low power version has an output power of 14dBm and the high power has an output power of 27dBm. The 13 dB difference in output power translates approximately to 4 x in increased range using the high power version versus the regular version.
The module can be set to support either a 5kbps data-rate or a 50kbps data-rate. This is configured in the firmware . The lower data rate allows for longer range at the expense of longer Tx pulse. The range increase is doubled using the lower 5kbps data-rate vs the 50kbps data-rate.
Range in Urban Environment
RC1880CEF-SPR (5 kbps)
RC1880HPCF-SPR (5 kbps)
RC1880CEF-SPR (50 kbps)
RC1880HPCF-SPR (50 kbps)
RC1890HPCF-SPR (5 kbps)
RC1890HPCF-SPR (50 kbps)
The module includes the ICI I/O.
Using high-level C language, users can program the SPR Module to:
- Create an interface to any sensor/controller or any combination of sensors/controllers
- Mist intelligence for data pre-processing to reduce bandwidth requirement
- Manage the RF settings
Please click here for more details on the ICI I/O.
The RIIoT™ Net Controller is a Linux based middleware that manages the RIIoT GPR module. It resides in a gateway and translates the RIIoT RF to JSON, manages the network set-up and handles over the air updates.
It can be easily integrated in the gateway application through a socket. Data and commands are communicated as JSON objects. The main functions of the network controller include:
- Supporting the set-up of the RF network
- Reporting the network status
- Managing low-level networking through the GPR module
- Conversion between RIIoT™ RF encoding to JSON data
- Managing over-the-air firmware updates of leaf nodes
The RIIoT™ Net Controller is designed to operate together with the RIIoT™ GPR module. Radiocrafts delivers the RIIoT™ Net Controller as a pre-compiled executable application with example integration applications.
RIIoT™ will operate without the RIIoT™ Net Controller, but with reduced functionality in terms of cloud support and network monitoring. See the GPR module description.
Interested in the RIIoT™ Net Controller, then download the RIIoT™ Net Controller Socket API Reference.
The RIIoT™ Net Controller is part of the RIIoT™ Gateway Software Kit which is now available for download on our supporting software tools page.
The GPR module is the core of the RIIoT™ gateway. It can either be integrated as is into a gateway itself or it can be accessed from the gateway by connecting a RIIoT™ gateway dongle via USB.
The GPR module communicates to the RIIoT™ Net Controller to get the full RIIoT™ performance into the gateway.
The GPR Module can interface with up to 65,000 SPR modules.
The GPR Module comes in three hardware options:
- RC1880CEF-GPR, the low power version
- RC1880HPCF-GPR, the high power version for 868 MHz
- RC1890HPCF-GPR, the high power version for 915 MHz
The low power version has an output power of 14 dBm and the high power has an output power of 27 dBm. The 13 dB difference in output power translates approximately to 4 x in increased range using the high power version versus the regular version.
The module can be set to support either a 5 kbps data-rate or a 50 kbps data-rate. This is configured in the firmware. The lower data rate allows for longer range at the expense of longer Tx pulse. The range increase is doubled using the lower 5 kbps data-rate vs the 50 kbps data-rate.
Range in Urban Environment
RC1880CEF-GPR (5 kbps)
RC1880HPCF-GPR (5 kbps)
RC1880CEF-GPR (50 kbps)
RC1880HPCF-GPR (50 kbps)
RC1890HPCF-GPR (5 kbps)
RC1890HPCF-GPR (50 kbps)
The RIIoT Gateway Dongle is a complete CE certified boxed product that will expand a standard Linux gateway to a gateway with RIIoT™ functionality. This is done via a USB connection.
The RIIoT™ Net Controller needs to be included in the “Linux environment” of the gateway to get the RIIoT™ functionality.
The core of the gateway dongle is the GPR module. The additional blocks are a USB transceiver, a PCB, and the antenna.
Radiated power 12dBm EIRP.
The Gateway dongle comes in four versions:
- The RC1880-RIIOT-GWD-EU for low power at 868 MHZ (to be released)
- The RC1880-RIIOT-GWD-US for low power at 915 MHZ (to be released)
- The RC1880HP-RIIOT-GWD-EU for high power at 868 MHZ (to be released)
- The RC1880HP-RIIOT-GWD-US for high power at 915 MHZ (to be released)
The RIIoT SPR SDK supports the development of code for the ICI framework in the SPR module. The ambition when Radiocrafts developed the ICI framework was that a user should be able to write any application for sensors/controllers in less than 100 lines of high-level C-code, driving a straight forward solution for the C-programmer.
The RIIoT SPR SDK comes with
- Extensive documentation
- Firmware for the RC1880CEF-SPR in binary
- C Libraries
- Build scripts
- Flashing tools
It also comes with two ICI tutorials with documentation and source code
- Blink LED
- Send periodic network data
And, Example source C-code for
- Auto Join network
- Temperature and humidity sensor reading
- CO2 sensor reading
- VOC gas sensor reading
The RIIoT™ Gateway Software Package includes tools and firmware to set-up a RIIoT™ network with the GPR Module and a standard Linux based gateway. The ambition is to make the set-up process as easy as possible, while still maintaining the ability for the user to set up key network parameters to optimize for a specific network’s requirement.
The RIIoT™ Gateway software package includes:
- Extensive documentation
- The RIIoT™ Net Controller. A middleware that supports the GPR Module to manage the RIIoT™ network
- The RIIoT™ Network Monitoring tool
- Gateway application example code
The RIIoT™ development kit includes all the hardware needed to start running a small RIIoT™ network from a PC. This allows the customer to test the network capabilities with minimum development resources needed. This is ideal for a first range test in a customer environment.
The RIIoT™ development kit includes three boards with antennas, power supplies, and a USB cable for PC connection.
- A RIIoT™ Gateway Board, a development board with a GPR Module
- A RIIoT™ Leaf Node Board, a development board with an SPR Module
- A RIIoT™ sensor board, a board with an SPR Module and 7 industrial sensors.
The development kits come in three versions:
- RC1880-RIIOT-DK, for regular power networks
- RC1880HP-RIIOT-DK, for high power 868 MHz networks
- RC1890HP-RIIOT-DK, for high power 915 MHz networks