The SPR module and GPR module to build your RIIoT™ by Radiocrafts Network are now available for purchase at Digi Key!
Radiocrafts is happy to announce that the RIIoT™ modules (the SPR and GPR modules) are now available for purchase at Digi Key!
RIIoT™ (Radiocrafts Industrial Internet of Things) is an IIoT wireless, long range, 2-way symmetric, network in a module. It was developed for you to easily create your own efficient industrial grade access network with cloud connectivity.
The RF protocol is the IEEE802.15.4 g/e standard that supports both 868 MHz and 915 MHz for global applications. RIIoT™ includes an Intelligent C-programmable I/O (i:zi), which makes it possible to directly interface to any sensor or actuator and supports mist computing. RIIoT™ does not require any license or subscription fee.
Why use RIIoT™ by Radiocrafts? What are its advantages?
- Designed for industrial grade quality – RIIoT™ has very low packet losses due to the supported ack/retry and listen-before-talk features. We also proved this by running a test where we had 28 nodes transmitting data every 4 seconds and achieved an astonishing 99.83% good packets received.
- Short development time – the complete network is supported by the module.
- Very low power – The leaf nodes can run several years on coin cell batteries and can even be used for energy harvesting.
- 2-way symmetric communication with short delays for control applications – Less than 15ms delays allowing for near real time control which allows for many thousands of nodes per gateway. RIIoT has a long range between gateway and leaf node, up to 2 km in urban environment, up to 60 km line of sight with the High Power module and up to 500m urban and 15 km LOS with the regular module.
- “Global” support – Software configurable 915 MHz and 868 MHz.
- Connects to any sensor chip/controller via Radiocrafts’ ICI framework – ICI allows the network designer to create any sensor or controller interface. The idea behind ICI is that a user with little to no RF experience can quickly and easily create an intelligent network node using only 100 lines of high-level C-code or less. (learn more about ICI here.)
- Cloud connectivity using JSON objects – The RIIoT Net Controller manages the JSON objects for RIIoT and is the translator to the RIIoT RF packets that are transmitted to the sensors/control units. (learn more about the RIIoT™ Net Controller here.)
- Future-proof by (OTA) Over-The-Air updates – OTA combined with ICI means that the user can update the user defined ICI firmware when the network is deployed and in full operation, so new sensors/controllers can be added when the need arises. Additionally, you can make updates to the ICI application, add new features that come from Radiocrafts, and, make bug fixes.
- Supporting many leaf nodes – A RIIoT™ Network can have up to 65,000 leaf nodes.
- Tailor made solutions through Radiocrafts design services – The standard solution can be modified to fit individual customer requirements that are not covered with the standard solution. Radiocrafts has long experience in RF design and turnkey solutions. A special case is if the modification can be done in ICI, then the effort and costs will be minimal compared to a traditional turnkey contract design.
RIIoT™ Target Applications
RIIoT™ by Radiocrafts is developed for Industrial IoT access networks that require:
- Adaptation to customer needs (network performance, types of sensors, etc…)
- Industrial grade reliability.
- Extensive range.
- Very low power.
- High node count.
- Swift response time.
- No license or subscription costs.
RIIoT™ targets networks where fast time to market/low engineering effort is desired.
So, which applications suit these requirements the most?
- Smart cities
- Smart buildings
- Energy management systems
- Light control
- Climate control
- Access control and security
- And many more…
The SPR and GPR modules are the core of the network nodes and include the complete RIIoT™ network, together with a Linux application in the gateway. The remaining customer development time for a complete industrial IoT network is a few weeks. A gateway dongle is provided from Radiocrafts for simple certification.
The development from the customer is easy and includes:
- Picking the sensors chip and units to control to put on the PCB.
- Creating the mechanical design of the box to suit the branding and functionality needed by the customer.
- Design the ICI application. It is to be written in high level C code using the ICI framework. Radiocrafts goal is to keep the abstraction level high enough so that a professional application should never take more than 100 lines of code to write.
- Connect the network to internet via a Gateway.
- You are done!
So, get your own SPR and GPR modules from Digi Key and start creating and testing your own RIIoT™ by Radiocrafts network today!
To learn more about the RIIoT™ Network Overview, click here.
To learn more about the RIIoT™ Parts and Tools, click here.
To find more RIIoT™ documentation, please visit the Radiocrafts document library here.
To read more about the SPR module, click here.
To read the SPR module datasheet, click here.
To learn more about the GPR module, click here.
To read the GPR module datasheet, click here.